Monday, April 4, 2011

Dear Mr TTR

Yes, I carry a color xerox of my license(not the original) when I travel with an e-ticket. Yes, its because when a lousy excuse for a human being steals my wallet, I will not have to lose my only identity for what seems like eternity. Yes, it is my name stuck on that white sheet outside on the train, with my age next to it.Yes, it is my photo on that color xerox of my license and it is again, my name next to it. Yes, both you and me know I was travelling by my name, with my face (yes, the one moulded to my neck, the one resembling the face on the xerox copy). And you know what, I saw the smile light up your face when you realized I dint carry the original ID poof with me. That I had broken the rules. I saw it glow brighter when you saw that the faces around me could not care less that you were charging me 563 INR, and that I was travelling alone. I heard your voice gather momentum and I heard authority in your voice when you told me I was wrong. I believed you. Almost. And when two others got caught for the same issue, when I made a scene and demanded to know why this was being enforced despite there being no doubt about our identities, and you looked at the three of us (the wrong doers) and said, with that glint in your eye, that you could book all three of us in one case and let us go if we each payed you three hundred.
Then, I saw the most pitiful creature before me. 

If you only saw yourself, the way I saw you.

6 comments:

vj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vj said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pink Mango Tree said...

Brillianto Nacha Madam!

"If you only saw yourself, the way I saw you" - superb end to the story!

And I loved the new look given to your page.

saba said...

Did you pay the fine?
Or the 300?

Nacha said...

Shalineeee! thankuthanku.
Saba- dint pay at all. Got away with creating a scene, calling another ttr, talking nonstop till a crowd gathered and the ttrs conferred together and decided to "leave the girl" lest I make a bigger scene. I should have asked HIM for ID proof! :D

Ani said...

Nach : I love the way you stood up for this. And how you managed to, not to pay the ttr.

Keep on writing, as this is an equivalent substitute to the way you talk, which is something, that i miss!